Progress on the house – and home brewing for that matter – has stalled lately. Let’s just say there’s been a lot going on. I took two weeks off of work to get a grip and celebrate some cool people getting married.
I wish I could say I finished all of my projects, but that’s just not the case… in fact, I barely finished one… but what a glorious project that was: The Pantry.
I really had no idea where to start, which is one of the reasons it took me so long to finally get going. So I did a bit of googling and looked at some other people’s pantry layouts. Then I measured a few items that never quite fit in our cupboards to make sure there would be a place for them… like gigantic cereal boxes, countertop appliances, etc. And then I made a really technical plan:
See, very fancy.
With the blueprints drawn, I started on the wall paneling. I used MDF beadboard, because it can take abuse (read: boxes and cans smashing into it repeatedly for the next 50 years), and it’s a hell of a lot easier than finishing drywall.
I painted it first, cut it to size, and then using construction adhesive and brads, affixed it to the walls and ceiling.
Then I cut all of the shelving boards to length. I used 1×12 pine because it’s sturdier than MDF and hopefully the shelves won’t sag over time. I painted them with enamel so they won’t stick to everything that sits on them.
For the corner shelves, I screwed the two pieces together using a pocket hole jig to avoid having to use an extra brace or support. Then I plotted the measurements for the shelves on the wall, one at a time and glued and screwed the ledges in place, checking the level every step of the way.
And repeated that about 100 times.
And there you have it. A really awesome custom pantry.
I still l have a little finish work to do, but we’re already putting it to good use. And as you may have noticed, there’s an area that perfectly fits my beer fermenter and supplies.
The inaugural batch is bubbling nicely in its cubby.