I’m BAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Woah. That’s all I have to say. Life got busy all of a sudden. That combined with the project basically being stalled until I could make it to the county during business hours to get a permit, I didn’t have a ton I could work on before I started altering the structure of the house, which I didn’t want to do until the plans were approved in case something needed to change.

Thankfully, the county approved the plans as they were, and we’re all set to move forward with the laundry room reno.

I’m really happy with the final design. We gain access to the back yard, and the room becomes a more functional “mud room” than it previously was.

While I was waiting to have time to get the plans approved, I’ve been doing a little demo. I’ve only done as much each week as the curbside garbage can will hold, which amounts to about a half a wall per week.

I have everything torn out except for the drywall around the electrical panel torn out at this point. I also ordered our windows – went with Marvin for the quality and look/feel I was hoping for. And I ordered the last two doors – the exterior door that was never in the original budget (eek) and the last interior door – the big one.

While the garbage can was full of drywall, I’ve been keeping busy with yardwork during the very few sunny days we’ve had – tilled the garden beds with my new Ryobi Expand-It tiller, edged the yard for the first time since we lived here with the edging attachment.

Planted some Japanese anemones, phlox, snap dragons and pansies in the front bed and re-mulched, and planted some impatiens in the front porch planter.

I also got the garden started indoors – tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapeños, bell peppers, zucchini, crook-neck squash. And then I put them outside to get some real sun, and the wind broke the necks of all of my tomatoes but one and one of my cucumbers rotted because of the massive amount of rain. Awesome.

I’m feeling a little behind with the remodel, but I just discovered at work that I’ve had an extra week of vacation all year that I didn’t know about, and that I have to take before June or it expires, so I’m taking next week off to really dive in. I’m going to be taking the siding off the north end of the house, installing the new windows and the exterior door, and re-siding everything. Also hope to run the plumbing that week, and maybe get started on the electrical.

Only problem is, we’re at the point in the project where I’m realizing that I severely underestimated budget… to my credit, we’ve added a door and made significant changes to the overall plan, but the permits, windows and interior doors were more expensive than I originally thought, and cabinets… well, that’s another story.

Moral of the story: DrunkenDIY, now accepting donations. And more posts, more often coming here shortly, I promise.

One Comment

  1. Mommy said:

    Daddy will be heading up Thursday to help out!

    May 15, 2011
    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *