Painting A House (A Job Better Left to College Students)

As ye faithful readers know, I’ve been putting off painting the house for some time. I wanted to wait until the addition on the front of the house is done… but let’s be honest, that will likely be another 10 years. Meanwhile, the fascia board has been peeling and siding blistering.

It was time. And it needed to happen before the rain came. So I blocked off a weekend. Makes sense, right? A single-level, 1755 sq ft rambler… two days max.

And that, my friends, is where the hazard warning lights should have started…

After work each day the week before the big project, I did a little prep work, which mainly involved scraping the fascia board, which was pretty badly peeling all around the house. In fact, it’s been half-scraped since two summers ago when I first noticed it and chipped some of the paint off.

And then, on Friday evening I rushed home from work and pressure washed the whole house.


And that exposed more peeling. So on Saturday morning, after the house had dried, we scraped, and scraped… and then scraped some more. At about 2 p.m. on Saturday, I started painting the rafter tails. You see, we wanted four colors to add some character to the house.

So I started spraying them all. Deep brown/red, also known as Behr English Manor.

And that’s when the sun went down. Day one over. Not even ¼ of the painting done.

Day 2. Remember those rafter tails? Yeah, every single one had to be wrapped with tape and paper. 70 of them, to be exact. So we did that (thank you to the flock of angels that helped us).

And with broken necks, at about 1 p.m., I started color two – Shortgrass Prairie – under the eaves, the garage doors and on the vertical siding on the gabled ends.

Weekend, over. Paint? Not done. Monday – Thursday night of the next week were spent on the body of the house, with color three – Spanish Galleon. And that’s where the house sat for a few weeks, while we took a trip to San Fran, and I went to NYC for work.

Looked pretty good, but the trim and gutters were yet to be painted. And it was late September. In Portland. By some strange fate, the rain held off, and I spent the first weekend of October painting the trim with the fourth color – Harvest Brown – partially by hand for the facia and window/door trim, and partially by sprayer for the gutters. After a full weekend of painting, and three nights after work, the house is done. DONE!!!








Oddly, it was probably the most painful project we’ve taken on so far. But every time I round the corner and see the house, I feel like it’s worth it.

Moral of the story: Start saving money now to hire a painter in 10 years.


  1. Breana said:

    Kevin the new colors look great! Sounds like it was a lot of work, but well worth it. Nice job!

    October 22, 2012
  2. Mom said:

    I almost guarantee you wouldn’t be happy hiring anyone paint, you have too much perfectionist in you!! But the results speak for themselves, looks great!

    November 5, 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *