You make a better window than a door?

For Memorial Day, I had a lovely 4-day weekend from work. What better way to spend a few days off than working on the house, right?

The main task for the weekend involved re-framing the exterior wall with a new header, and rough openings for the new door and window in the mud room. Before I could get started, I had to tear out all of the old studs, header, and remove all of the old plywood sheathing.  Thankfully my dad and brother-in-law Jesse were here, because it was a tough job. The plywood was affixed to the studs with about a million rusty staples that were impossible to remove.

When we finally got it off, we took out the old header, threw in the new one, and then framed out the window and door rough openings based on the spec sheets from when I ordered both. With the wall all framed in, we put up new plywood sheathing that wasn’t water damaged.

And began wrapping with Tyvek. I used leftover from when Megan and Jesse built their house, so we only had a 2′ roll to work with, but with a little tyvek tape, the barrier is as good as any.

With all of the seams taped, we cut the door/window holes and wrapped the sills/framing.

We applied the sill flashing.

And then installed the windows… and the door, which we saved it for last, because it was going to be the “easiest.”

Wrong.

It didn’t fit the rough opening. We must have measured wrong.

Nope.

Measured exactly to the specs on the sheet that came with the door for the rough opening. But the door was larger than it was supposed to be. So we had to do a little re-jiggering. Since we installed a header about twice as sturdy as we needed to, we notched an inch out of the top, and then moved the side stud. This was no easy task, though – we had to remove the tyvek, pull up the sill flashing. Remove the nails from the sheathing. Ugh. But finally, we got the door in. And the room is looking spectacular. Even without drywall or cabinets, or a floor, or lights, the door and the window just make everything look amazing.

As always, there’s still a long way to go, but the perimeter is sealed, the plumbing is done, and we’re almost to the point where we can start putting things back together…

Well, almost.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *